Learn the skills to save a life.
May 23 & 24, 2018
8:30am - 4:30pm
Participants must attend the entire time, both days.
Suicide Training Overview
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is a two-day workshop designed for all community members. Shown by major studies to significantly reduce suicidality, the ASIST model teaches effective suicide intervention skills while helping to build suicide prevention networks in the community. This suicide prevention training will enhance a person’s ability to assist a person at risk of suicide. ASIST enhances skills to intervene until either the immediate risk of suicide is reduced or additional life-assistance resources can be found.
The training is divided into four learning modules: attitudes, knowledge, intervention and resources. Skills and principles are illustrated with case studies, presented in videos, role-play simulations, discussions, and the Suicide Intervention Handbook. Developed by LivingWorks Education, inc., the workshop prepares Suicide First Aid Caregivers to integrate intervention principles into everyday practice.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be better able to:
- Dispel myths about suicide
- Identify people who have thoughts of suicide
- Understand how beliefs and attitudes can affect suicide interventions
- Reduce barriers which hinder the ability to be direct and comfortable with suicidal situations
- Understand a person at risk’s story about suicide as well as recognize turning points that connect the person to life
- Conduct a safety assessment and develop a plan that will keep the person at risk safe-for-now
- Engage in building resource networks for individuals at risk of suicide
This course have been pre-approved for 1 Ethics and 12 Regular CEUs for North Dakota Social Workers. CEUs have been pre-approved Nurses, Law Enforcement Officers, and Emergency Medical Professionals in North Dakota and Law Enforcement Officers in Minnesota.
There is an early bird registration discount available through May 4,2018 with coupon code EARLY.
Early Bird Rates: $150 for standard registration, $100 per person for a group of three or more, $50 for students and seniors.